Putting ghee (clarified butter) in the nostrils is a traditional Ayurvedic practice called Nasya. It involves applying a few drops of warm ghee into the nostrils to help lubricate and cleanse the nasal passages.
According to Ayurveda, the nose is the doorway to the brain, and applying ghee in the nostrils can help nourish the brain and improve mental clarity. It is also believed to alleviate symptoms of sinus congestion, allergies, and headaches, and improve the sense of smell.
Ghee is also very beneficial for health as well as enhancing the taste of Indian food. Especially Desi cow’s ghee is very good for your health. In Ayurveda, Desi cow’s ghee is considered sweet, aliphatic, cooling, and nectar-like (Amrat). cow’s ghee is an important means of environmental, purification along with physical, mental, and intellectual development and prevention of disease. The use of this increases memory and intelligence and suppresses Vatta and Pitta. In the disease of insomnia, applying two to three drops of ghee in the nostrils daily at bedtime, sniffing, massage of ghee on the forehead and soles of feet, and applying it to the navel starts with sleepiness.
The miracle was caused by putting only 2 drops of Desi ghee in the nostrils while sleeping at night.
What are the benefits of putting ghee in the nostrils?
- If you put two drops of ghee in the nose, by doing this, the sources of the closed nose are opened.
- By putting cow’s ghee in the nose, hair fall ends and new hair also starts coming.
- This remedy is good primarily as a cure for cold, cough, and sinus.
- If you have difficulty in breathing or there is any obstruction, in this case, you put two drops of ghee in one nose and pull it in vigorously, in the same way, add ghee in the other nose and pull it in. Doing this will remove the problem related to the nose.
- To increase the memory power, put two drops of cow’s lukewarm ghee in both the nostrils at night every day at bedtime. This increases the power of the brain greatly.
- Insanity is cured by putting cow’s ghee in the nostrils.
- According to Ayurveda experts, insomnia patients put two drops of cow’s ghee in both nostrils at bedtime.
- By putting ghee in the nose, the dryness of the nose is removed and the brain becomes fresh.
- Putting cow’s ghee in one’s nose provides mental peace, and memory improves.
- Treatment of paralysis is also possible by putting cow’s ghee in the nostrils.
How to put ghee in the nostrils (Nasya)?
Here are the general steps for performing Nasya:
- First, you will need to lie down on your back and tilt your head back so that your nostrils are facing upward.
- Next, warm up some ghee to a comfortable temperature. You can do this by placing the ghee in a small container and immersing it in hot water for a few minutes.
- Once the ghee is warm, dip the tip of your little finger into it and gently apply a few drops of ghee into one nostril. You can also use a dropper or a Nasya oil applicator for this purpose.
- Inhale deeply through your nose, and then exhale through your mouth. You may feel the ghee moving through your nasal passages.
- Repeat the process with the other nostril.
- After you have applied the ghee, remain lying down for a few minutes to allow the ghee to penetrate the nasal passages.